Friday 23 January 2015

Education indeed has no age limit; It's never too late........

This story moved me to tears when i read it, I just had to share it.

Priscilla Sitienei affectionately known as Gogo which means grandmother in the local Kalenji language, is a 90 year old Kenyan woman who goes to school with six of her great-great-grandchildren. She is believed  to be the oldest primary school pupil in the world.

Priscilla Sitienei and classmates standing outside

Gogo telling her classmates stories.....




She joined Leaders Vision Preparatory School five years ago and has also served her village of Ndalat in the Rift Valley as a midwife for the last 65 years. In fact, she helped to deliver some her own classmates, who are now between ages 10 and 14 years.  

She explains why she wanted to return to school.

"I'd like to be able to read the Bible; I also want to inspire children to get an education."

"Too many older children are not in school. They even have children themselves."

Gogo says she confronts children who are not in school and asks them why.

"They tell me they are too old," she says, I tell them, 'well I am at school and so should you."

"I see children who are lost, children who are without fathers, just going round and round, hopeless. I want to inspire them to go to school."


View pictures..........

Leaders Vision Preparatory School sign

The School



Pupils in class at the Leaders Vision Preparatory School in Ndalat, Kenya

When you stop learning, you start dying........

"I WANT TO SAY TO THE CHILDREN OF THE WORLD, ESPECIALLY GIRLS, THAT EDUCATION WILL BE YOUR WEALTH"
                                                                                           Priscilla "Gogo" Sitienei.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You are always welcome to drop a comment. Thanks